DailyMeander

Is it a bird? A butterfly? A bee? An excrutiating boil on the bottom? A pain in the neck, and a nasty-tasting medicine? Yup. It's an extension of me; warts and all. A third arm if you like. Always handy, if you know what I mean...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Letchworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Welcome to Daily Meander Dear Reader... This blog is intended to simply be an online diary. Like my real diary, it will contain political, funny, sexual, thoughtful, sweet and engaging entries. Some will be true, and some will be patently untrue. Imagination is part of life. I use mine. Use yours.

Friday, November 26, 2004

Fear and Loathing of Las Vegas

I've just been on what many readers might consider a dream trip. One week in Las Vegas. Hot gambling, hot girls, hot desert nights - what more could one wish for?

Well, actually, a lot.

Decent service, for one. Having visited the USA a few times in recent years, I've always been struck with the great, attentive service that seems to come naturally to waiters, bar staff, hotel staff etc. Las Vegas appears to be the place where the ones who failed their charm school exams end up. Bad manners, slow to attend, vile language are just some of the traits that my hosts displayed last week. And they still expect a good tip. Well they can sod off. I've always tipped generously for good service, but my expenses were safe on this trip.

Poor hotels are next on the list. When one stays at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, one expects great things from such a huge, well-known entity. What I got was a very basic room, with mould growing by the side of the bath and noisy air-con. The staff appeared to be housed on the same floor, which made for disturbed nights at 5am every morning during the shift handovers. In fact the only redeeming feature of the week was when the room next door to me was taken by a Redneck, his Wife, and his Mother-in-Law. 10pm, Wife and Mother-in-Law decide to go over to Caesars Palace for a flutter. Redneck decides to stay in and watch some TV. 3 hours later, Wife and Mother-in-Law return early, to find Redneck shagging a hooker. It was like listening to Jerry Springer on full volume. All I could do was cry with laughter into my pillow...

Number 3 is food poisoning. It was the first morning, and I and my colleagues have just finished our huge buffet breakfast of melon, followed by sausage, Canadian bacon and eggs easy-over. Two hours later, four out of five of us are doubled up in the toilets in the lobby.

Perhaps I shouldn't be disingenuous. After all, you make your own luck. And I did make a small but tidy profit at the Roulette wheel.

Maybe it was just a bad week, but I hated every second of my time in LV, and have sworn never to return. Next year's trip is Orlando, Florida. Bring it on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home