DailyMeander

Is it a bird? A butterfly? A bee? An excrutiating boil on the bottom? A pain in the neck, and a nasty-tasting medicine? Yup. It's an extension of me; warts and all. A third arm if you like. Always handy, if you know what I mean...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Letchworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Welcome to Daily Meander Dear Reader... This blog is intended to simply be an online diary. Like my real diary, it will contain political, funny, sexual, thoughtful, sweet and engaging entries. Some will be true, and some will be patently untrue. Imagination is part of life. I use mine. Use yours.

Friday, December 10, 2004

Girls Aloud

I don't know why, but an embarrassing but true moment from my past came back to mind today.

Going to college one morning circa 1985, travelling with about 40 other sixth-formers on a double-decker bus, I was immersed in finishing an assignment not completed the night before. The bus drew up to a giddy halt at the next stop, and my friend hopped on board. My friend was Suzy, an American girl who had joined my class the previous year, and we had hit it off pretty well.

So well in fact, I had fallen for her - big time.

Having spent the previous night wallowing in teenage angst, I had written her a love note, telling her of my feelings for her, and today was the day I was going to give it to her - slip it into her schoolbag.

Unfortunately, today was not a good day for the confessions of a lovesick admirer.

She saw me slipping the note into the bag, and grabbed me with one hand, holding the note aloft with the other.

She called the other sixth-formers to attention, and then proceeded to read my lust-soaked note out to anyone that cared to listen.

After a couple of sentences, she realised exactly what the note was, and stopped in mid syllable.

I was a puddle on the floor. She was red enough to burn holes in the seats.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry Honey, I thought you were giving me a joke to read like you normally do."

And women wonder why men don't often make those overblown romantic gestures.

Diagnosis: It's plain terror.

Sergei

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Oh Boy can I identify with that.

Rewind to 1st year senior school (what's that? Year 7 now?). Message passed along in class. "Will you go out with Nicola?" I mean she was cute, very cute, way out of my league even then, I was only 11 and I knew where I stood. This was all my dreams (dry and wet!) come true. "Yes" I sent back, hardly believing my luck.
Back came the note. A meeting time? Place? I could barely contain my excitement (and that's bad with 11 year old adolescent hormones raging, IYKWIM). "You know we're only joking, don't you, you pratt?"

I slid quietly under the desk and sobbed. (That bit might not be true, but I wanted to). Ruined my relationships with girls for years. No really, Nicola and her cohorts have an awful lot to answer for...

Mon Dec 13, 08:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home