DailyMeander

Is it a bird? A butterfly? A bee? An excrutiating boil on the bottom? A pain in the neck, and a nasty-tasting medicine? Yup. It's an extension of me; warts and all. A third arm if you like. Always handy, if you know what I mean...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Letchworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Welcome to Daily Meander Dear Reader... This blog is intended to simply be an online diary. Like my real diary, it will contain political, funny, sexual, thoughtful, sweet and engaging entries. Some will be true, and some will be patently untrue. Imagination is part of life. I use mine. Use yours.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Daily Blah

My new boss has taken to holding daily production meetings each morning at 09:45. This is a meeting where the problems of the preceding 24 hours are discussed, and fingers are pointed, blame is apportioned, and cheeks turn red.

Whilst doing wonders for morale (as one might imagine) this meeting usually turns out to be a real set-to every day, with everyone squirming and writhing in their attempts to pass the buck and lie their way out of their responsibilities.

I won the Bullshit Bingo game three times last week.

Sergei

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Pah. Blame culture. Utter tosh, and short-sighted on anyone's part who implements such rubbish.

And yes, I would have said as much in the first, and each subsequent meeting.

I haven't changed much over the years...

Tue May 31, 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

I know I'm not the only one of us who has experienced something similar to the following. Shame, as it'd be nice to think that some companies have the ability to think, rather than just react.

A major crisis struck one of the companies listed on my CV.

It's all hands on deck, but rather than do the obvious - call in all the hard core techies and let them fix it, they decide to call in a handful of people - the ones who were on call rather than the ones who might actually have the skills to fix the problem.

This meant a fix would be slower.

But we didn't realise how much slower until the senior manager who decided his presence was important to "manage the issue" also decided that calling a meeting every hour for a progress report would be a good idea.

These meetings took at least 15 minutes, sometimes 30.

So yes. That means in an 8 hour day, this one manager achieved what I would have thought impossible - he reduced the amount of work any of us could achieve by between 25% and 50%.

What it took us 10 hours to fix...could have been done in (maybe, allowing for broken chains of thought) 5.

Genius.

Good thing it wasn't a business critical system.

Oh, it was.

Sat Jun 25, 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

I seem to recall a similar situation at a previous company also.
I also recall telling various managers to just bloody* well leave me alone to fix it instead of getting in the bloody* way.


* May not have been the exact word used, but you get the idea.

Mon Jun 27, 07:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home