DailyMeander

Is it a bird? A butterfly? A bee? An excrutiating boil on the bottom? A pain in the neck, and a nasty-tasting medicine? Yup. It's an extension of me; warts and all. A third arm if you like. Always handy, if you know what I mean...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Letchworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Welcome to Daily Meander Dear Reader... This blog is intended to simply be an online diary. Like my real diary, it will contain political, funny, sexual, thoughtful, sweet and engaging entries. Some will be true, and some will be patently untrue. Imagination is part of life. I use mine. Use yours.

Friday, November 26, 2004

Its The Law

I wonder. Quite often in fact. Wondering is my job. And this morning, I was wondering about waste. As opposed to wandering about waste, which would certainly raise a few eyebrows in my neighbourhood.

I digress. Forgive my digressions, as I will forgive those who digress against me. Or something like that.

Away from my digressatorial wonderings, and back to the plot. Well, the landfill.

Walking down to the railway station this morning, I noticed it was the day for placing one's bins out onto the pavement ready for collection. Did mine last night in fact. In wonderment, I tried to imagine what waste some of my neighbours had put out today. I wasn't going to lift the lids on any of my friends wasteful lives or anything - let alone their wheeliebins - but I did have a fanciful flight in my mind about whether we should have waste collection at all. Would it be that horrific if we didn't? A few of the vistors to this journal might remember the strikes of the binmen during the 70's, and the amount of rubbish sitting on the streets at that time.

What if, for argument's sake, the powers that be passed a law stating that everyone had to recycle everything from now on. 'Bin the bins' would be the advertising slogan, and all we would be left with would be the recycling boxes, to be filled with paper, glass, plastics, metals, bio-degradeable waste, and fabrics.
I mean, we all do it when we visit the local Tidy Tip - sort things out into different categories, and then get shouted at by a spotty youth with a High-Visibility vest and an inordinately inflated sense of self-importance - when we accidentally drop a plastic bag into the garden waste skip.

So let's do it. Write to your local Potentate with the idea. Make your town the first, fully recycling town in the area.

By the way, an area of Denmark, called Sjelland, already did this a few years ago. They also built a small incinerating plant for each town, which, by burning the town's waste, and stubble from the fields, provided enough power to light the town each night. So it is possible, if we want it to be.

As a postscript, please be aware that, as yet, there are no recycling facilities that can cope with chewing gum, so would the Doublemint Degenerate that spat his out on the pavement en-route to the station, and which I duly stepped in whilst inspecting the wheelie bins, please take it home next time and stick it on his bedpost.

It won't lose it's flavour overnight, so the song goes.

Anyone got a scraper?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home